|Back to Back Issues Page|
Andrew Barns | Owner of Mischa Wines in Wellington | Morning rituals and daily habits
July 16, 2018
Andrew Barns is the Co-owner and winemaker from Mischa Wines in Wellington.
He gave us some interesting morning rituals and habits in his life as an entrepreneur.
Find the full interview here: https://youtu.be/odPSeRN-Fwk
Below a few points of interest taken from the interview:
Tell us more about the industry you are in?
• Mischa Estates consist out of three businesses.
• One being Mischa winery, with premier exporting wines.
• The second being Mischa nursery where they grow table grape stokkies
• Thirdly the business called NutraFarm, where they support their customers with improving the soil health with the long-term goal to reduce the inputs such as pesticides and fertilizers.
• Andrew and his brother Gary is currently the 3rd generation on the farm.
What are your morning rituals and daily habits?
• He reminds himself regularly of the Aristotle quote ... We are what we repeatedly do, then success (excellence) is not an action but a habit.
• Wanting to be successful, assisted him to find the correct habits.
• He rises early at 4:45, and study for about an hour. Andrew is busy with a business degree.
• After that he workout for about 45 minutes.
• By the time he gets to work, his body and brain is going and ready for the day.
• Getting up early was not always easy, and it took him about a month to get into the new habits.
• Like myself, Andrew also uses the Wim Hof breathing technique and start his day with cold showers.
• When he gets to work, he journals about whatever is sitting on top of his mind, good or bad.
• He also plans his day in this time and tries to allocate specific time slots for activities.
What do you use to settle down before you go to sleep at night?
• He practiced his brain to not think of too much before he goes to sleep.
• Before the goes to sleep, he makes himself a cocktail of fibre, calcium, magnesium and boron powder.
• Like myself, Andrew also uses GABA, which main benefits are calm, relaxation and stress reduction. GABA also assist in the recovery of lean muscle.
• They also make their own kombucha at home, which is an excellent probiotic. He takes it after dinner to assist with digestion.
• Make sure the light is low and no cell phones before bedtimes.
Any bad habits entrepreneurs need to stop immediately?
• Social media is a nice business and social tool, but it is very shallow. Use it, but always keep in mind, all things in moderation. Anything too much is too much.
• Deep happiness cannot be found on a shallow platform.
• They have a rule as a family, no phones at the table. Eat and talk about your day, around a table.
• Being a winemaker, Andrew compared the use of social media to alcohol usage. One glass of wine a day is beneficial for you, but using too much can become a problem.
Any books that you recommend?
• He signed up to only two newsletters.
• Barking up the wrong tree, by Eric Barker
• Brain Pickings by Maria Popova
• Best book by far was Barking up the wrong tree by Eric Barker.
How can we assist you?
Contact us for your monthly accounting and tax needs.
I have been in the industry for almost two decades and would love to assist you with your start-up or running business needs.
Feel free to send comments and/or questions to my inbox.
Feel free to contact us with your accounting, income tax or company start-up needs.
Yours in Tax,
Member of Institute of Accounting & Commerce.
You are subscribed to Dryk Holdings Newsletter.
The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.